Infographics - French breeding
- Cattle : 18.5
- Pigs : 13.7
- Sheep : 7.2
- Goats : 1.3
- Meat poultry : 155.3
- Laying hens : 48.3
(In 2018, millions of heads)
In 2016, 172 000 farms will be devoted to livestock, i.e. 39% of all farms (beef cattle, milk, mixed ; sheep ; pigs ; poultry).
Consumption of animal products in 2018 (per capita / year) :
- Pig meat : 33 kg
- Poultry : 28 kg
- Cheeses : 24 kg
- Beef : 23 kg
- Eggs : 13 kg
- Butter : 8 kg
- Other* : 3kg
- Sheep & goat : 2 kg
(*Equine, rabbit & game meat and offal)
- 4 million cows & 1.3 million dairy ewes.
- France accounts for 30% of european goat's milk collection.
- 10% of poultry are under official quality or origin sign (PGI / PDO / AB / LABEL ROUGE).
The weight of the food processing / preservation of meat and meat preparations industries
- 23% of employees in food compagnie (in FTES)
- 39 billion € turnover
- 3 billion € of meat & offal exported
- 6 billion € of milk & dairy products exported
Source : Agreste Graphagri 2019 (2018 data)