By building synergies between plants, animals, humans and the environment, agroecology provides multiple benefits to society and the environment. The Global dialogue showcases the important contribution of agroecology, especially in terms of:
- enhancing smallholder and family farmers’ adaptation and resilience to the impacts of climate change;
- improving nutrition including through more diversified diets;
- protecting and enhancing agro-biodiversity in support of ecosystem services such as pollination and soil health;
- improving livelihoods in rural areas;
- achieving a transformative change in agricultural practices towards sustainable development.
At the end of the three-day symposium, an initiative will be launched to encourage more inclusive agroecology transition processes through tools, knowledge and policy in order to transform food and agricultural systems.