« The FAO plays a key role in eradicating hunger and poverty as well as in supporting the sustainable adaptation and transformation of our food systems. Building on my European and international experience, I am committed to working openly and effectively with all stakeholders in close cooperation with Member States and involving FAO personnel. I will ensure that the FAO’s impact or added value is increased for the Member States and to sustainably improve food and nutrition security for all, in line with the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. »
« For me, joining the FAO means...
Participating in an unparalleled collective commitment and a momentum which is stronger than ever.
The FAO helps to reduce hunger, food insecurity and malnutrition. It works to make agriculture, forestry, and fisheries more productive and more sustainable and to improve the resilience of production systems to threats or crisis situations. The FAO must now go even further.
Reaffirming the importance of the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, not only to feed all human beings but also to eradicate poverty and preserve the planet. This means reaffirming the need to build on and step up investments in research, innovation, education and training, infrastructure and knowledge transfer.
Responding to new challenges that we are all facing, including:
- the demographic challenge and changing food demand;
- the climate change challenge;
- the biodiversity challenge and the wider natural resource challenge (soils, water, air).
These challenges require commitment and dedicated work on all levels – be it local, regional or national – in every country. The large scale and global consequences (insecurity, migratory movements) of these challenges mean that they cannot be tackled by a single country or group of countries working in isolation.
There is no time to lose. Worldwide action and global governance are indispensable. The FAO and its Director-General must provide a powerful contribution to this movement.
We need to give new impetus to the FAO’s work:
- Bringing all Member Countries and partners together around a renewed and shared vision which facilitates the implementation of the FAO’s strategic priorities.
- Scaling-up cooperation and synergies with other UN organizations, especially the IFAD, WFP, and WHO and providing a framework for cooperation with relevant scientific and technical organizations.
- Fostering innovation and transformation by mobilizing the FAO teams.
- Promoting the FAO’s role as a global reference organization building on robust scientific and technical knowledge in the field of food security and nutrition, with an aim to enhance its relevance, effectiveness, efficiency and transparency.
- Working to ensure that the FAO remains an open, agile, responsible organization committed to building its actions jointly with all stakeholders.